Friday, January 15, 2010

being neat is not always a good thing.


i've been making A LOT of necklaces lately. i've found a style that i am working with and change it depending on the beads/stones i am using. i have some new stones in the mail that i'm excited about and can't wait to get creative with.

although. i have a problem. i'm too neat. i need to make sure that everything looks balanced when draping my chains and make sure that things are symmetrical and hang just right. yeah it's good in some ways so the piece is aesthetically pleasing in some sense. but i find that when looking at other pieces using the same sort of stones, i gravitate towards the messier necklaces. ones with no boundaries, ones that arent balanced, ones that don't use all silver and mix up the colours and stones in a way i would find blasphemous. i look at these necklaces and began to think i really wish i could let go of rules and make ones such as these. i know i can't. so i start thinking of a way i can save my money to buy them instead because they really are amazing necklaces and i know i can't do it myself.


all necklaces made by loveheylola via etsy. ofcourse.


they are a beautiful mess of chain that makes me want to pull them off my screen and wear them now. plus i've always loved larger statement necklaces. i have found over the years that single chain necklaces with a small charm on them just dont fit in with what i wear or how i look. larger bib sort necklaces on the other hand look a lot better on me, i think it might be due to my round face. so it kind of balances out my upper body area or something. i also wear more simpler tops so it makes for a good addition to an outfit. also the colour really pops as a lot of my clothing is black.

in the end i think my need for these necklaces i've shown is largely due to the fact it's something i cannot do. something that is beyond me that makes it very wantable. kind of like something you can't have. but it's not only due to the fact i can't be messy, it's also because they are a beautiful collection of stones collaborated with the chain to make a perfect mess of awesome. even if i could be messy i would still very much love these necklaces and i hope i can own them myself before someone else buys them. they were only listed just a few days ago.

i have a birthday in sixty days. thanks.

- her.

2 comments:

  1. I think your take on messy chain necklaces are lovely, and as a fellow jewellery designer I also know how difficult it is to justify buying other people's jewellery when there's always that 'I could do it myself' lurking in the background of your mind.

    But there's nothing wrong in buying jewellery by other designers - you're supporting your own industry and I think that's the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! i love buying other designers makes, my boyfriend however is usually the one that foots the bill, so hes always encouraging me to try it myself. soon i think i should buy shares in etsy! haha. its one of only a handful of places i buy from nowadays.

    ReplyDelete